Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the E.S. Witchger School of Engineering at Marian University located in Indianapolis seeks qualified applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in mechanical engineering starting in August 2023. We invite applicants in all fields related to mechanical engineering including, but not limited to, engineering mechanics, fluid mechanics, thermo sciences, renewal energy, materials science, and advanced manufacturing.
Preference will be given to applicants showing a dedication to student learning and the ability to develop a productive research program.
The successful candidate will promote Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by fostering student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practices, and contributions to a research across the curriculum model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory courses for majors. The E.S. Witchger School of Engineering at Marian University is a collaborative and growing academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage applications across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. U.S. News ranks Marian university as a top 30 regional Midwest university and top 5 in best value and Most innovate university. Marian University has experienced significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings. The E.S. Witchger School of Engineering is Marian University’s latest bold endeavor. We will enroll our first engineering class in Fall 2022 and open a brand-new engineering building, currently under construction, in Fall 2023. Prospective faculty are invited to join this exciting venture.
Indianapolis, the state capital and most- populous city in Indiana, is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city offering numerous cultural, dining and sporting activities. Indianapolis has been named Time Magazine’s " World’s Greatest Places 2021" and regularly tops Money Magazine’s list of “Best places to Live.”
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teach up to 12 credit hours per semester in engineering. Course releases may be available for those participating in research, developing innovative pedagogy, or other duties.
- Demonstrate academic excellence, the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students and help advance the mission and values of the university.
- Engage students in research, scholarship and other professional activities.
- Mentor and advise students through academic advising, clubs, research and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs within the engineering school and across the university.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission and strategic vision of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction of students of varying abilities at the university level.
- Demonstrated interest in science teaching pedagogy, curriculum and program development. Experience with online teaching is preferred.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Review of applications will begin December 1st
and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, current CV, teaching statement, research statement, contact information for 3 professional references, and responses to supplemental mission questions. Information requests should be sent to WitchgerEngineering@marian.edu
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application: