Plans and conducts assigned and/or original research projects autonomously while working collaboratively with faculty, staff, postdocs and students. Education: PhD in related technical, scientific or engineering discipline. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies.
The Department of Civil, Environmental and Ocean at Stevens Institute of Technology invites applications for a postdoctoral associate position. The successful applicant is expected to play an active role in Dr. Cheng Chen’s research group, which focuses on fundamental research of flow and transport in porous media and the applications to oil and gas recovery, geological carbon sequestration, and renewable energy.
*Position Summary: *
Responsibilities will include:
- participating in current sponsored research on fundamental research of flow and transport in porous media and fractures, data analytics and machine learning, as well as the applications to geological H2 storage, phase behaviors in gas hydrate production, and geological carbon sequestration.
- report and manuscript writing;
- presenting at technical forums and conferences;
- co-developing new proposals for sponsored research; and
- co-supervising and mentoring graduate and undergraduate researchers.
*Required Qualifications: *
- PhD in a relevant engineering field, such as civil engineering, petroleum engineering, chemical engineering, mining engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Offers of employment may require prior approval from the granting agency.
- The ability to manage people and work well on a diverse team;
- Excellent work ethic, time management, and organizational skill;
- A commitment to safe work practices in the laboratory and field;
- Practical knowledge and experience in molecular dynamics simulation, pore network model simulation, PFC simulation, lattice Boltzmann method, phase behavior of fluids under reservoir conditions, machine learning and data analytics, and basic knowledge of hydraulic fracturing and proppant placement;
- Prior knowledge in immiscible two-phase flow in porous media and geologic carbon sequestration
Preference will be given to applicants who
- Have prior work or internship experiences in the petroleum industry
- Demonstrated a strong publication record in machine learning and data sciences, hydrogeology, and petroleum engineering
- Have hands-on experiences in developing PFC and (or) lattice Boltzmann codes and the applications to geosciences and petroleum engineering
- Credentials and characteristics that show a trajectory toward future employment as a tenure-track faculty at a research intensive institution
Subsurface Renewable Energy
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.