A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available at Laboratory of Ambient and Wearable Systems (http://claws.eng.ua.edu), Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Alabama. The laboratory is engaged in several cutting edge research projects developing wearable devices for physiological and behavioral monitoring. The laboratory develops state-of-the-art technologies working in close collaboration with leading clinical researchers in the areas of nutrition and obesity, rehabilitation, physical activity monitoring, addiction and others.
We are seeking a Research Associate with strong background in machine learning and/or mobile and wearable computing. The postdoctoral research will participate in an NIH-funded project and will be responsible for:
1. Development of machine learning models describing human behaviors;
2. Development of mobile and cloud-based software for real-time analysis of data from wearable sensors;
3. Working in a interdisciplinary team, interacting with researchers in multiple areas of science and engineering;
4. Supervision of graduate and undergraduate students
Desired qualifications in the order of importance:
1. Extensive practical experience and strong foundation in machine learning and deep learning (MATLAB, TensorFlow or similar).
2. Experience with image processing / computer vision.
3. Experience with cloud computing, cloud development ecosystem.
5. Familiarity with regression analysis and statistical techniques;
6. Familiarity with biomedical signals and signal processing.
The candidate should have good oral and written English communication skills, be capable of independent work as a part of a multi-disciplinary team, publish results in academic journals and participate in grant proposal preparation. Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in Electrical, Computer or Biomedical Engineering or a related field. The initial appointment is for a period of one year with potential for further extension. The review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this position, send the following documents in PDF format to Dr. Edward Sazonov (email@example.com):
- a one page research statement that describes your research interests and experience,
- a vitae (CV) including references (names and contact details) and a full list of publications,
- a copy of the graduate academic transcript,
- copies of the three most relevant publications.
About the employer
The University of Alabama is a major, comprehensive, student-centered research university founded in 1831 as the first public college in Alabama.