Advanced Manufacturing and Materials Processing Laboratory in the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering at the Iowa State University has two PhD positions starting spring or fall 2021 for students with background in materials science, advanced manufacturing, mechanical engineering, applied physics, and related area.
The students will conduct research in the following areas:
1. Additive manufacturing (3D printing) of metallic materials and functional structures.
2. Laser shock processing of metallic materials.
3. Nano/micro-manufacturing of advanced materials for energy storage, biomedical, and soft robotics applications.
4. Multiscale materials modeling and manufacturing simulation.
We are inviting students:
1. With solid background (BS or MS) in materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, manufacturing, physics, chemistry, or a closely related field.
2. Preferably with a publication record.
About Iowa State University:
ISU is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 36,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff. The College of Engineering has consistently been ranked among the top engineering schools and is the 7th largest engineering school in the United States. According to US News, the Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering department is ranked 24th in the country in 2020.
Potential candidates are encouraged to send a copy of their CV/resume to Dr. Liao (email@example.com) for funding opportunities.