Located in downtown Toronto, the largest and most culturally diverse city in Canada and on the territory of the Anishinaabeg, Haudenosaunee and the Wendat Peoples, the Department of Chemical Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Architectural Science at Ryerson University invites applications for a tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor effective July 1, 2022, subject to final budgetary approval.
Applicants should have strong research expertise in process systems (modeling, simulation, control and optimization), and/or artificial intelligence-based applications in chemical engineering. However, applicants with exceptional research contributions in renewable energy and other emerging areas of chemical engineering will also be considered.
The successful candidate will engage in a combination of teaching, scholarly research or creative activity and service duties while maintaining an inclusive, equitable, and collegial work environment across all activities. The candidate will contribute to our undergraduate (BEng co-operative) program and graduate (MASc, MEng and PhD) programs through teaching, curriculum development, and research supervision. The successful candidate will further pursue a strong, innovative research program that is externally funded, and produces cutting edge, high quality research in Chemical Engineering.
Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree in Chemical Engineering, and a PhD in either Chemical Engineering or a related engineering/science discipline by the date of appointment. In addition, applicants must be eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Ontario. The successful candidate must further present evidence of:
● strong emerging scholarly research and/or creative activity that is current, innovative and impactful as evidenced by, but not limited to, peer-reviewed publications, working papers, public policy contributions, presentations at academic conferences, community and professional work, grants, research related awards and other writing or creative production that contributes to the visibility and prominence of the discipline;
● demonstrated potential for teaching excellence at all levels of the undergraduate and graduate curricula, as evidenced by a teaching dossier that includes a teaching philosophy statement, experience with course and curriculum review and/or development, examples of best practices in pedagogy, including effective use of classroom technology and any experience with experiential learning, sample syllabi, strong teaching evaluations, teaching awards, and other relevant achievements in teaching;
● commitment to our values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion as it pertains to service, teaching, and scholarly research or creative activities, including a demonstrated ability to make learning accessible and inclusive for a diverse student population; and
● an ability and willingness to contribute to the life of the Department, the Faculty, and the University through collegial service.
Relevant industrial experience would be an asset.
This position falls under the jurisdiction of the Ryerson Faculty Association (RFA). The RFA collective agreement can be viewed here. A summary of RFA benefits can be found here.
Serving a highly diverse student population of over 45,000, with 100+ undergraduate and graduate programs built on the integration of theoretical and practical learning and distinguished by a professionally focused curriculum with a strong emphasis on excellence in teaching, research and creative activities, Ryerson is a vibrant, urban university known for its culture of innovation, entrepreneurship, community engagement and city-building through its award-winning architecture.
Department of Chemical Engineering
The Department consists of 16 tenure-stream faculty and offers undergraduate (BEng co-operative) and graduate (MASc, MEng and PhD) programs to students of diverse backgrounds. Our faculty prides itself on the excellence of its research, the quality of its teaching and community engagement. We are interested in the candidate who will contribute to our existing research and teaching strengths by bringing innovative and diverse perspectives and experience to the work.
Working at Ryerson
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. At Ryerson, we firmly believe that equity, diversity and inclusion are integral to this path; our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Dedicated to a people first culture, Ryerson is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employer. We invite you to explore the range of benefits and support available to faculty and their family, including access to our diverse faculty and staff networks.
Visit us on Twitter:
RyersonVPFA and RyersonECI and our LinkedIn company page.
Ryerson is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. To find out more about legal and policy obligations please visit the accessibility and Human Rights websites.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, Black-identified persons, other racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications online via the Faculty Recruitment Portal (click on "Start Application Process" to begin) by December 15, 2021.
The application must be a single PDF file containing the following in the order as listed:
● Cover letter
● Curriculum Vitae
● Statement of research interests
● Teaching dossier and results of teaching evaluations
○ up to three research papers from peer-reviewed refereed journals
○ any patents
● Contact information of three referees
Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority, in accordance with Canadian immigration regulations. Candidates must therefore indicate in their application if they are permanent residents or citizens of Canada.
Any confidential inquiries about the opportunity can be directed to the DHC Chair, Dr. Simant Upreti, at email@example.com.
NOTE: Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about working at Ryerson University are welcome to contact Tracey King, Miigis Kwe, the Indigenous Human Resources Lead and the Founding Co-Chair of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit Community Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Black identified candidates who wish to learn more about working at Ryerson University are welcome to contact Shurla Charles-Forbes, Black Faculty & Staff Community Network at email@example.com.
For any confidential accommodation needs in order to participate in the recruitment and selection process and/or inquiries regarding accessing the Faculty Recruitment Portal, please contact Laurie Shemavonian,
HR Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.