A Senior Lecturer is expected to make significant contributions to the teaching effort of the discipline, school, campus, faculty and university. An academic at this level is also expected to play a major role in scholarship, research and/or professional activities.
1. The key result areas of Research, Teaching and Service are the basis for the primary duties and responsibilities of the role. A workload will be agreed annually with the Head of School in the Performance Development Plan process. Other duties may be required from time to time as directed by the Head of School.
2. Conduct independent research and act as principal investigator and project leader.
3. Enhance the University’s international reputation through research publications of appropriate quantity and quality, and contribute to worldwide debates at regional and international conferences.
4. Obtain external research earnings through carefully prepared and successful grant applications as well as identifying potential income-generating programs and collaborative partnerships.
5. Contribute to enhancing the quality and quantity of multiple-disciplinary research at the University in an area related or complementary to existing research priorities.
6. Leading the supervision of research projects, manage dedicated research staff and postgraduate research students.
7. Contribute to maintaining a collegial working atmosphere and stimulating research environment that will attract further research staff and HDR students of the highest quality.
8. Prepare, review and deliver lectures, tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations, workshops, student field excursions, clinical sessions and/or studio sessions and seminars.
9. Contribute in course coordination and developing curriculum, course materials and learning activities for undergraduate and postgraduate course/unit in which the academic teaches.
10. Design and execute formative and summative assessment including marking that is aligned with student learning outcomes.
11. Contribute to the scholarship of learning and teaching (including curriculum and student engagement) within the discipline.
12. Supervise the program of study of honours students and of postgraduate students engaged in course work.
13. Provide feedback to students on their learning through student consultations.
14. Undertake administrative responsibilities primarily connected with units in which the academic teaches including course review, admission and accreditation processes.
15. Share in academic service responsibilities, including contributing to outcomes of the discipline and/or school meetings and/or internal campus committees.
16. Foster strong engagement with the profession, industry, professional bodies and general community.
17. Contribute to the development of collaborative linkages with Malaysian and regional agencies, institutions and industry.
18. Contribute to the overall strategic planning and academic management of the School.
19. Contribute to the development of other academic staff through mentoring, coaching and effective supervision.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
1. The appointee will have:
a. A doctoral qualification in the relevant discipline area or closely related field
2. Must be eligible to register as Graduate Engineer with Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). For non-Malaysians with Bachelor of Engineering qualifications from non-Malaysian universities, professional qualifications recognised by BEM can be considered as equivalent to being registered as Graduate Engineer.
Knowledge and Skills
3. An established research agenda and established track record in research publications in the relevant discipline.
4. Evidence of successfully attracting competitive funding for research activities.
5. Demonstrated evidence of a high standard of teaching in the relevant field at tertiary level.
6. Demonstrated experience in supervising HDR students.
7. Demonstrated evidence of engagement and/or collaboration with colleagues in teaching and research.
8. Demonstrated evidence of good oral and written communication skills.
9. Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds.
10. Commitment to the academic discipline and to service to the University, the wider community and the profession.
11. Demonstrated evidence of the use of technology and innovation to enhance teaching and research.
To apply, send your Cover Letter and Resume to recruit@ monash.edu and quote the job number.
Monash University is Australia’s largest university, and member of the prestigious Group of Eight research intensive universities. Monash consistently rates in the top 100 universities in the world. In the 2019 QS Top Universities ranking, Monash ranked 58 in the world in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Monash University Malaysia is Monash’s third largest campus, with over 8000 students and 800 staff. We are a comprehensive campus offering degrees in business, engineering, medicine, science, information technology, pharmacy, social science and humanities. We are rated among the very best among universities in Malaysia, and the quality of our research output positions us among the very best universities in Southeast Asia.
Monash University Malaysia provides Monash University with a platform for scholarly engagement with the dynamic Southeast Asia region. We are located in greater Kuala Lumpur, in the Klang Valley, one of the region’s industrial hotspots. We sit in the heart of the rapidly developing economic corridor linking Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and beyond. Our education and research is oriented towards deep engagement with this dynamic social and industrial landscape.
In 2018 we celebrated our twentieth anniversary in Malaysia. During this time we have produced more than 16,000 graduates from more than 70 different countries. We provide a diverse and inclusive scholarly environment.
In 2017 Monash Malaysia was awarded a Six Star SETARA rating by the Malaysian Ministry of Education. This places us in the very top "outstanding" cohort of Malaysian Universities.
For further information see: www.monash.edu.my
The School of Engineering continues to grow rapidly, particularly in the delivery of undergraduate programs, and through the expansion of its facilities and infrastructure. In addressing global engineering challenges of the 21st century, the expansion of research activities in our Malaysian campus is of high priority for the University, reflected by the significant increase of school collaborative partnership with the industry sector, and through the offering of the Higher Degrees by Research, the Master of Engineering Science (Research) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The School currently has close to 1,500 undergraduate students, consisting of approximately 70 academic staff, and 42 professional and technical support staff.
The School offers the 4-year Bachelor degree in 6 disciplines: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering and Software Engineering. These are the 6 core disciplines of Engineering, driven by the strong and growing demand for capable graduates in Malaysia, the Asian region and beyond.
In line with the School Development Plan and to meet the thriving market demand, the school has recently started to offer the Master of Advanced Engineering (Energy and Sustainability), a 1-year Master by coursework program.
For further information: www.eng.monash.edu.my