Applications are invited for a 4 year term PhD scholarship at the Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering (MEE), Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China. The successful candidates will join the Advanced Plasma Manufacturing Laboratory (APML), and will be supervised by Dr Hui Deng (Assistant Professor).
Projects are available in the areas of (but not limited to):
1) Fabrication and application of atomic-scale ultrasmooth surfaces;
2) Fabrication and application of nano tools;
3) Fabrication and application of ultrathin materials;
4) Ultraprecision machining of single crystal diamond
5) Molecular dynamics or DFT calculation;
SUSTech was founded in 2011 in the southern city of Shenzhen, the epicenter of China’s economic miracle and ingenuity over the past 35 years. Situated on a tranquil and picturesque campus of rolling hills and wandering creeks, SUSTech is widely known as a pioneer for higher education reform and innovation in China. With an outstanding faculty trained globally, SUSTech is making great strides toward its goal of building a world-class institution of higher education and cutting-edge research with broad societal impacts. With state-of-the-art experimental facilities and guidance from internationally recognized scientists, postdoctoral fellows working at SUSTech have unique opportunities to achieve their scientific and career goals.
More information about SUSTech, the MEE Department, and Dr Hui Deng can be found at:
About the program:
1. All programs are offered fully in English.
2. Doctoral degree programs are required to be completed in 4 years.
3. SUSTech offers Presidential PhD student Fellowship or SUSTech PhD student Fellowship to full-time international Doctoral students at the following rate: Up to RMB100,000/ year, up to 4 years, subject to the academic quality/achievements of the candidates.
1. Applicants must be citizens with foreign passport and have attained a Master’s degree.
2. Applicants should be graduated from a leading university in his/her home country, and demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
3. Language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above, or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
1. Doctoral level tuition fee: RMB10,000/ year
2. Accommodation fee: RMB 1,300/ year. Accommodation standard for Doctoral students is single room. For applying for accommodation, admitted students may contact the relative SUSTech department.
3. Students are responsible for Chinese medical insurance, visa, transportation fee, ect.
4. The above listed fee is just for reference. The exact amount of tuition and accommodation fees is subject to the approval of the authorities and will be informed upon enrollment.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the position, a CV with education background and a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees via email to Dr Hui Deng.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.