The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems at the Aalto University School of Chemical Engineering is presently looking for
Doctoral Candidate and Postdoctoral Researchers in the Area of Biohybrid Materials
We are looking for employees to fill Doctoral Candidate and Postdoctoral Positions in the Biohybrid Materials
(Prof. Mauri Kostiainen) research group. Our laboratory is situated on the main campus of Aalto University in Otaniemi within the Department of Biotechnology and Chemical Technology. Our research is funded through the European Research Council (ERC) and we are part of the Finnish Academy Center of Excellence (CoE) on Life-Inspired Hybrid Materials (2022-2029). CoEs are the flagships of Finnish research.
We offer a multidisciplinary research environment at the forefront of biomaterials science, newly renovated laboratory space and excellent equipment pool. The group’s research interests include for example: self-assembly of viral and synthetic nanoparticles, polyelectrolyte complexes, functional DNA origami nanostructures and lignocellulosic nanomaterials. For more information on the research, please see the group web page http://chemtech.aalto.fi/bihy
of the current positions include:
1. Life-inspired hybrid materials
- you will take inspiration from living organisms as adaptable and dynamic soft matter to prepare for example autonomous multiresponsive materials, nonequilibrium conditions for emergent functionalities or systems to connect living and non-living structures. Your target is to advance new material concepts such as, adaptation, mechano-responsiveness, memory functions and algorithmic processes inspired by associative learning.
2. Multicomponent protein cage crystals - you will develop design strategies and fabrication methods to produce functional protein cage co-crystals, including crystals for host-guest chemistry, collectively behaving nanoparticle systems and crystal templated inorganic porous materials.
As a successful applicant, you should be highly motivated in experimental science and have a background in chemistry, biosciences, physics or a closely related field. For the PhD position you need to have a Master’s degree and for the postdoc position a Doctoral degree in suitable field. Solid skills for example in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, nanoparticle preparation, protein engineering or DNA nanotechnology as well as related characterization techniques are an additional advantage. Good written and oral communication skills in English.
In the PhD position, you will apply for Aalto Doctoral Programme in Chemical Engineering, please check the student information and application criteria https://www.aalto.fi/en/study-options/aalto-doctoral-programme-in-chemical-engineering
. In particular, please pay attention to mandatory skill level in English.
What we offer
Aalto University follows the salary system of Finnish universities. The positions are immediately open and initially filled for 1-2 years, the total funding is for four years (PhD) and two years (Postdoc). Employment includes occupational healthcare.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application at earliest convenience and no later than December 19, 2021
through our recruitment system.
Aalto University’s employees and visitors please note: you should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> Career -> find jobs (not external aalto.fi webpage on open positions) by using your existing Workday user account.
To apply, please share the following application materials (in English) with us:
- A letter of motivation (max. one A4)
- CV (including a list of publications)
- Transcript of university studies
Possible letters of recommendation
For more information
Please see http://chemtech.aalto.fi/bihy
for more information about the research group or contact Professor M. Kostiainen (firstname.lastname@example.org
In matters related to the recruitment process, HR Coordinator Sanni Mero (email@example.com
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
More about Aalto University: