The College of Engineering at Lawrence Technological University (LTU) invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Engineering Technology. The Department is committed to advancing LTU’s research portfolio, strengthening our ABET accredited undergraduate programs, and reinforcing industry partnerships. The College of Engineering is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and welcomes applications from women and underrepresented groups.
This position will provide leadership in the areas of administration, teaching, scholarship, and service related to the Engineering Technology department. The department offers three bachelor’s degrees in Audio Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Technology and Management, and Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Technology, and a masters’ degree in Engineering Quality. The Department Chair will be responsible for managing the department budget, quality and integrity of the programs, innovation, assessment and continuous quality improvement, accreditation, and promoting and building research. The individual must embrace and work in an experiential environment, support community engagement, and integrate multicultural content into their research with academia, government and industry partners. The starting date will be Fall 2023. Review of the applications will commence upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.
- Plan and manage the department budget.
- Directly manage departmental faculty and adjunct faculty, provide mentoring, training, recruitment (for both on campus and online), faculty development, and annual evaluations.
- Develop undergraduate and graduate class schedules for faculty and adjunct faculty workload assignments.
- Plan and implement strategic activities for the department to grow the enrollment and expand program awareness to industry.
- Ensure quality of the degree programs and that the program educational objectives, learning outcomes, and accreditation are maintained.
- Develop, staff and monitor course development or course revision schedule.
- Work collaboratively with other Department Chairs to coordinate and plan future initiatives that will continually grow academics both on campus and online.
- Build partnerships with community colleges and other organizations.
- Coordinate all personnel searches for the department ensuring that expertise and diversity goals for faculty are pursued.
- Teach one or two courses each semester depending on the department needs.
The candidate is expected to demonstrate successful leadership in education and professional service.
- Ability to recruit, develop, and retain outstanding faculty and staff.
- Ability to work effectively with others in developing the Department's vision, and integrate it with the vision and plans of the University.
- Willingness to promote the Department by engaging alumni and donors to enhance Departmental resources.
- Committed to diversity among students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and industry partners.
- Possess administrative, teaching and professional experience in a related field.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or closely related fileds. Candidates with industry experience or established industry connection will be reviewed favorably. Expertise in the area of manufacturing systems, embedded processors, industrial automation, ergonomics, work design and product life cycle management are preferred. The candidate must have a strong commitment to teaching excellence and demonstrated ability to establish/facilitate research projects.
Lawrence Technological University (LTU) conducts pre-employment screening on initial candidates for all positions, which may include but is not limited to, a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, license, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, a vision statement for the department, statements of research and teaching interests and capabilities, and a list of four references to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Liping Liu, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of the applications will commence upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.