Faculty, Assistant/Associate/Full Professor – Engineering – Applications are now being accepted for a tenure-track appointment in the Physics Department at Randolph-Macon College to contribute to a new major in Engineering. The new major is designed to satisfy the ABET-accreditation requirements and earn accreditation when the first students graduate. Complementing the existing major in Engineering Physics, the new Engineering major includes both a rigorous series of foundation courses focused largely on Engineering Mechanics and a series of hands-on, project-based design and analysis courses where students learn to apply the essential technical principles to a series of unique complex real-world problems. This position will begin in Fall 2020.
- Expertise in Computer-Aided Engineering Design and Analysis as well as experience guiding student projects.
- A PhD in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or a related field at the time of appointment.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching a variety of mechanics courses at the undergraduate level is desired along with research in an engineering-related field that will involve students.
- Evidence of advising/mentoring undergraduate students.
- Evidence of working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds toward shared goals.
- Evidence of success using pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
- Experience with a liberal arts framework.
Qualified candidates should submit electronically a cover letter; a curriculum vitae; a statement of teaching philosophy; a statement of research interests; and unofficial graduate transcripts to Ms. Barbara Wirth (email@example.com), with the subject line Engineering Search. Please submit materials as one attachment titled with the candidate’s last name and first initial. In the cover letter, candidates should also provide names and contact information of three individuals (at least one of whom should be able to speak to the experience and potential of the candidate as a teacher) who can serve as references. For specific inquiries about the position, please contact the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. James McLeskey, Director of Engineering Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed beginning December 2, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
Randolph-Macon is a selective liberal arts college located in Ashland, VA, 15 miles north of Richmond, the state capital. Randolph-Macon College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Randolph-Macon’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we actively welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education.