We are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate Position in the fields of biochar technology, biofuel, bioremediation, phytoremediation and soil/water treatment in Dr. Eunsung Kan’s lab at Texas A&M AgriLife Research Center, Texas A&M University. This position will be hired from Texas A&M AgriLife Research Center at Texas A&M University, and work on Dr. Kan’s recently awarded USDA-sponsored research projects.
As one of Texas A&M University Chancellor Research Initiative Programs, Dr. Kan’s lab focuses on agricultural waste-derived biofuels, biochars and bioproducts via biological and thermal routes, biochar technology for environmental, energy and agronomic applications, and novel water treatment technologies (please see https://sites.google.com/site/eunsungkan/ for the detailed research projects).
The successful candidate will participate in one or more of the following research topics:
- Production, characterization and applications of functionalized and activated biochar products for wastewater treatment/reuse, runoff water treatment, anaerobic digestion, greenhouse gas control, and agricultural practice.
- Biochar-enhanced bioremedation/phytoremediation for removal of nutrients, antibiotics and microbial pathogens in agricultural systems
- Fate, transport and transformation of nutrients, antibiotics, microbial pathogens and microbial community in soil, water and plant
- Understanding of biochar-soil bacteria-plant interactions
- Production of biofuels and bioproducts from agricultural waste
- Treatment of emerging contaminants in water
- Any other relevant areas could be discussed with Dr. Kan.
Applicants must currently hold a PhD in environmental engineering/science, chemical engineering, biological engineering, agricultural engineering, biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, soil science or other relevant disciplines.
Preferred experience includes (but, not limited to):
Production and applications of biochar for environmental, energy and agricultural processes
Bioremediation and phytoremediation
Production of biofuels and bioproducts from agricultural waste
Innovative water and soil treatment
Treatment of emerging contaminants (such as antibiotics, algal toxins, PFAS) in water and soil
Analytical instruments (i.e., LC/MS, HPLC, GC, ICP, IC, XRD, SEM/EDX, XPS etc)
Analysis of nutrients, antibiotics and microbial pathogens from soil, water and plant
Molecular techniques including qPCR and 16S microbial community analysis
Statistical analysis and design of experiment
Publication in the relevant research areas
Excellent interpersonal communication skills
The position is for one year with possible renewal based on performance and continued availability of funding. The start date is flexible (preferred January to March 2022). Competitive salary is supplemented with fringe and benefits.
Do not be hesitated to ask any questions to Dr. Eunsung Kan at firstname.lastname@example.org.