PhD Scholarship is available for International Students in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China to work on the following research areas.
(i) Perovskite Solar Cell/Photodetector
(ii) Organic Solar Cell
(iii) Flexible/stretchable Sensing Devices for wearable medical devices
(iv) Thermoelectric Devices.
- PhD program is offered fully in English.
- PhD degree is required to be completed in 4 years.
- The successful candidate will receive allowance up to RMB 100,000/ year, up to 4 years.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and have attained a Master’s degree.
- Applicants should be graduated from a leading university in his/her home country or top 500 either in 2020 THE or QS ranking.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- Language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above, or IELTS 6.5 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 6.0.
Refer to the announcement for last year intake at below link for more information. (Note: The announcement for 2021 intake is expected to be released in Nov/Dec 2020.)
HOW TO APPLY: Interested individuals should send a cover letter, transcripts of bachelor’s and master’s degrees, research statement for research plan and goal, and the name of three referees and contacts to Prof. Aung Ko Ko Kyaw (email@example.com). Informal enquiries can be made to the same email address.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 2012, the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public institution funded by the municipal government of Shenzhen, a special economic zone in China and the epicentre of China’s economic miracle and ingenuity over the past 35 years. SUSTech is widely known as a pioneer for higher education reform and innovation in China. The mission of the University is to become a globally recognized research university which emphasizes academic excellence and promotes research, innovation, and entrepreneurship. With state-of-the-art experimental facilities and guidance from internationally recognized scientists, researchers working at SUSTech have unique opportunities to achieve their scientific and career goals. Set on five hundred acres of wooded landscape of rolling hills and wandering creeks in the picturesque Nanshan (South Mountain) area, the campus offers an ideal environment for learning and research. (http://www.sustc.edu.cn/en/).
SUSTech Key Facts at a Glance
- 1st in the world amongst young university created from scratch (Source: THE World University Ranking)
- 8th in Mainland China, 251st-300th in the world (Source: THE World University Ranking 2020)
- 1st in the world amongst the Top 30 Academic Institutions Under 30 (Source: Nature Index)
- Top 1% in the world for Chemistry and Material Science (Source: InCites Essential Science Indicators)
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY
Shenzhen; a modern, prosperous and multicultural metropolis, is an experimental city of China’s open-door policy and modernization strategy. It is located in South China, immediately north of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. As an important high-tech R&D and manufacturing base in South China, Shenzhen is one of the most economically invigorating cities in China, and the most rapidly growing city in the world. Being a home for more than 30,000 technology companies, including famous global companies such as Huawei, Tencent and DJI drone, Shenzhen is also well known as "Silicon Valley of China". It has the third largest container port in the world, and fourth largest airport in mainland China.
Shenzhen’s pleasant climate and picturesque coastal and mountain scenery have turned it into an attractive travel destination, which earned a place on The New York Times’ list of the world’s 31 must-visit destinations. Shenzhen boasts 271 kilometres of coastline serving up high-quality beaches, a vibrant metropolitan lifestyle, a thriving cultural scene, numerous entertainment attractions, shopping malls, food streets and nightlife districts; 15 golf clubs, including one of the world’s largest; and a selection of amusement parks that has made the city China’s true capital of theme parks.