Applications are invited for a couple of postdoctoral research associates at the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering (MAE), Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China. The successful candidates will join the Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory (A3 Lab), and will be working mainly with Dr Yu Liu (Associate Professor).
Projects are available in the areas of (but not limited to):
- Flow and noise control of bluff bodies (e.g. polygonal cylinders)
- Passive/active noise control of airfoils and wind turbines
- Low-noise design for PC cooling fans
- Aerodynamic and acoustic testing techniques, e.g. phased microphone array, flexible pressure sensors
SUSTech is a young public university founded by the Shenzhen Municipal Government in December2010. SUSTech aspires to be a globally-renowned university that contributes to the advancement of science and technology by excelling in interdisciplinary research, nurturing creative future leaders and creating knowledge for China and the world. Built around the three pillars of Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and propelled by its global collaboration strategies, SUSTech has rapidly grown into a prominent higher learning institution active at the scientific frontiers. It addresses the priorities of regional and national development strategies while blazing the trail for China’s higher education reform and innovation.
According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, SUSTech has been ranked among top ten universities in mainland China since 2018. The 2023 QS World University Rankings placed SUSTech 11th in mainland China. In the latest Nature Index (from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022), SUSTech ranks 30 in the world and 13 in China.
More information about SUSTech, the MAE Department, and Dr Yu Liu can be found at:
Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- a PhD degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering, Acoustics, Fluid Mechanics or a closely related discipline;
- strong and demonstrated experience in aeroacoustics, flow/noise control or related fields;
- good publication record in peer-reviewed top journals;
- preferably practical experience of aerodynamic and acoustic testing (e.g., wind tunnel, PIV, acoustic array) as well as CFD simulations.
Salary and benefits
- The positions are for two years initially, renewable depending on funding;
- Annual salary ~335k RMB (~£40k or $48.6k), including stipends from Guangdong Province and Shenzhen Municipality;
- Outstanding candidates can apply for the Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship with annual salary of ~500k RMB (~£60k or $72.5k);
- A travel grant of 25,000 RMB in two years for attending academic conferences and workshops, etc.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the position, a CV with a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees via email.
Contact: Dr Yu Liu Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.