INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Research Grant (BI) within the scope of the ATE funded
by IAPMEI, Co-financed by Component 5 - Capitalization and Business Innovation, integrated in the Resilience
Dimension of the Recovery and Resilience Plan within the scope of the Recovery and Resilience Mechanism
(MRR) of the European Union (EU), framed in the Next Generation EU, for the period 2021 - 2026.
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Research Grant (BI)
General scientific area: COMPUTER SCIENCE
Scientific subarea: Database management,Systems design
Grant duration: 6 months, starting on 2023-04-17with the possibility of being renewed for a maximum term of one
year, in cases where the grant has been awarded to students who are enrolled in non-award courses, or up to two
years, in the cases of students enrolled in a master's degree.
Scientific advisor: Fábio André Coelho
Workplace: INESC TEC, Braga, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: € 930,98, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants
(https://www.fct.pt/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Tabela-de-Valores-SMM_2023.pdf), paid via bank transfer. Grant
holders may be awarded potential supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22
of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly
INESC TEC supports costs with registration, enrolment or tuition fees, during the grant duration, under the terms
established in the internal document: "Payment of Tuition fees to grant holders".
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
This grant is provided in the scope of the project Aliança para a Transição Energética (Alliance for the Energy
Transition) where a multi-tenant, cloud-based solution to enable an integrated set of cross-domain, interoperable
digital services with data from several domains will be design, while allowing a simple instantiation for distinct
stakeholders along the energy value-chain.
As data processing moves towards the Edge, the use of the edge-cloud plane requires new tools to provide
meaningful and comparable results in terms of performance.
This grant aims to conduct a state-of-the-art analysis, the design and specification of an evaluation
(benchmarking) Framework for Edge data processing systems or algorithms. It will particularly focus on the
assessment of the following dimensions: temporal performance, energy efficiency, algorithm performance and
data-related performance. From the state-of-the-art analysis, the evaluation (benchmarking) framework design
and specification will detail requirements, evaluation metrics, data models and the benchmarking workflow.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- Identification of relevant state-of-the-art on benchmarking systems specialized in edge-cloud applications and
- Design and specification edge-cloud benchmarking system targeting the dimensions detailed in the objectives;
- Write the specification document;
- Write and submission of scientific papers;
- Write of a MSc dissertation.
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
Be enrolled in a MSc program in computer science or Informatics Engineering.
The awarding of the fellowship is dependent on the applicants' enrolment in study cycle or non-award courses of
Higher Education Institutions.
- Knowledge and experience on evaluation of systems; - Experience with the YCSB benchmarking system and
with the TPC-C,TPC-H specifications.
- BSc average above 14;
- Knowledge with key benchmarking principles;
- Knowledge in Distributed Systems;
- Excellent spoken and written use of English language.
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based
on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase
comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the
applicants' merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 60%), Scientific Publications (PC, 10%),
Experience (EX, 20%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 10%).
Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top
five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is
obtained by the weighted average of AC (80%) and EI (20%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: Fábio André Coelho
Full member: José Orlando Pereira
Full member: João Tiago Paulo
Substitute member: João Marco
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures for
prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations
for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding
entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
● Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition - in cases of academic degrees or diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution - can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the applicant's declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant's hiring stage. The submission of the certificate is mandatory when signing the contract.
● Academic degrees or diplomas awarded by a foreign higher education institution require an authentication by a Portuguese higher education institution, and the corresponding registration on the DGES platform, in conformity with Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information available on the website
https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/reconhecimento?plid=3744. Proof of enrollment in a degree awarding study cycle or in a non degree awarding Higher Education program.
● The proof of enrollment may be presented just during the grant hiring stage.
5. Signed declaration stating the infringement of the grant holder's duties (article 14, no. 4)
6. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent
document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal - valid until the beginning of
7. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional
awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2023-03-15 to 2023-03-28
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With
Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved
by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC
and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at