Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering - Full or Associate Professor
University of New Orleans
Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Full or Associate Professor
The University of New Orleans is a welcoming and inclusive university in one of America's most diverse and culturally vibrant cities.
The Robert A. Savoie College of Engineering (COE) at the University of New Orleans (UNO) invites applications for the Department Chair position in the Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) Department at the rank of Associate or Full Professor to begin in Fall 2023. The Department Chair reports to the Dean of college.
About the University of New Orleans
- Located on the southern shore of Lake Pontchartrain, only 15 minutes from the French Quarter, the University of New Orleans occupies a 195-acre campus in one of the finest residential areas of the city.
- Ranked Top 50 in the Nation for Social Mobility by U.S. News & World Report.
- The Brookings Institution ranked UNO third in the nation for providing equal access to higher education for students from all income levels.
For years, UNO has appeared on U.S. News & World Report's least debt list (schools whose graduates have the least amount of debt) among national universities.
UNO Welcomes Job Applicants from Diverse Backgrounds
Founded in 1958, the University of New Orleans was the first integrated university to open in the South. Given its history of educational access for all, UNO is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion - core values that inform all we do.
About the Job and the Savoie College of Engineering
A Ph.D. degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering or a closely related area is a requirement for this position. Successful applicants must have national stature in the field of civil engineering and must possess a record of research excellence and demonstrate strong commitment to graduate and undergraduate education. The Department Chair will be responsible for administration of all functions relating to the teaching, research, and service mission of the department. These functions include but are not limited to: maintaining ABET accreditation of undergraduate programs; modernization of undergraduate and graduate curricula; recruitment, mentoring, and retention of students; supervision of departmental staff; hiring, review, reappointment, and promotion of faculty; fiscal oversight; overall compliance with the University policies and procedures; and growth and development of the department's research portfolio. The focus of research and teaching for the applicant must be in the areas of geotechnical and structural engineering.
For exceptional candidates, the Department Chair position may come with an added endowed professorship which includes substantial funding that can be used to support salary, graduate students, and travel to conferences and meetings.If granted, this endowed professorship must be renewed every three years with the approval of the State of Louisiana Board of Regents.
The University of New Orleans is one of the nation's best institutions for undergraduates to earn their college degree, according to The Princeton Review.The Princeton Review features UNO in the new 2020 edition of its college guide, "The Best 385 Colleges."The U.S. News and World Report has also ranked UNO in the top 200 engineering colleges in the United States.The University of New Orleans (UNO) is also a Carnegie High Research Activity institution and for years, U.S. News and World Report has ranked UNO among the national universities whose students graduate with the lightest debt loads.The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UNO benefits from the support of the university led initiative to elevate the college to national prominence in education and research, and to help enhance economic development in Louisiana and the entire gulf coast region.The department offers a B.S. in Civil Engineering which may include a concentration in environmental engineering. In also offers a B.S. in Urban Construction Management. Graduate programs (master's and doctoral) are offered at the College level. UNO is the only university in the Greater New Orleans area offering these degrees.The CEE department has laboratory facilities that support teaching and research in environmental engineering, hydraulics and coastal engineering, geotechnical engineering, and structural engineering.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:
- In collaboration with the COE Dean, provide the academic leadership needed to advance the education, research, and service mission of the department.
- In collaboration with the University and the COE Dean, initiate and promote activities that increase enrollment and student success.
- Direct hiring, promotion, and retention of faculty and staff at the department level.
- Improve curriculum design, including accreditation planning and review preparation.
- Support diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Maintain an externally funded research program.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses.
Participate in academic service assignments as needed by the department and college.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
- A record of teaching, scholarly achievement, and service that merit appointment as a tenured associate or full professor in the department.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to secure external research funding.
Applicants must hold or must be eligible to get the Professional Engineer (P.E.) license in the state of Louisiana within two years of starting this position at UNO.
- Teaching and research focused in the areas of geotechnical or structural engineering.
- Experience with ABET accreditation process.
- Experience with initiatives that successfully grow student enrollment.
- Knowledge of innovative curriculum development and implementation.
- Experience building partnerships regionally, nationally or internationally.
Experience with interdisciplinary collaborations, entrepreneurship, and the development of new and innovative programs.
The University of New Orleans is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
To apply, please visit: https://ulsuno.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UniversityOfNewOrleans/job/New-Orleans-La/Chair-of-Civil-and-Environmental-Engineering---Full-or-Associate-Professor_R-000835