The School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering (MIME) at Oregon State University (OSU) invites applications for a full-time, nine-month, faculty position within the area of advanced manufacturing at the rank of associate or full professor. Individuals with exceptional research achievements in industry or national labs who could be appointed at these ranks and granted indefinite tenure are encouraged to apply.
Candidates should have a vibrant and well-resourced advanced manufacturing research program exploring the scientific fundamentals of manufacturing processes, which connects to one or more signature areas of research in the school or college, such as artificial intelligence, robotics, clean water, materials science, and clean energy. An established and thriving track record of federal and industry funding and partnerships in the school will support the successful candidate to grow an enterprise around innovations in advanced manufacturing. We are especially interested in candidates who have an interest in maximizing research impact through commercialization, taking advantage of OSU’s resources available through the OSU Advanced Technologies and Manufacturing Institute (ATAMI) and the OSU Advantage Accelerator.
The Oregon State University College of Engineering has committed to being a national model of inclusivity and collaboration. We strive to develop a community of faculty, students, and staff that is inclusive, collaborative, diverse, and centered on student success. As such, we seek applicants who demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion, including efforts promoting equitable outcomes among learners of diverse and underrepresented identity groups. Further, we seek to broaden our capacity to advance student success across individual identities, racial/ethnic categories, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
OSU is one of only two American universities to hold the Land Grant, Sea Grant, Sun Grant, and Space Grant designations, is a Carnegie Doctoral/Research-Extensive university, with an enrollment of over 32,000 students. The College of Engineering has 9,500 students, of whom over 1,300 are graduate students. It is the 10th-largest college of engineering in the country in terms of undergraduate enrollment. There are over 200 tenured and tenure-track faculty across five schools, and the College ranks third nationally among public R1 universities for the percentage of faculty who are women.
The state of Oregon actively supports university-industry collaboration in manufacturing research through million-dollar annual investments in the Oregon Metals Initiative and the Oregon Manufacturing Innovation Center.
OSU is situated on a beautiful 400-acre campus in Corvallis, a community of 55,000 people in Oregon’s Willamette Valley. Corvallis has been rated one of America’s most livable small cities for its classic structures, tree-lined streets, and Willamette River frontage. Corvallis has been recognized as one of the best college towns, one of the top ten places to live, and one of the best places for work-life balance. It also has the highest number of Peace Corps volunteers, green buildings, and patents per capita. Located about 90 miles south of Portland, a major urban area with an international airport and thriving industry (including the Silicon Forest), and about 40 miles from the state capitol in Salem, Corvallis sits in the middle of Oregon’s finest recreational and scenic areas: ocean beaches, lakes, rivers, forests, high desert, and the rugged Cascade and Coast mountain ranges. The city offers year-round cultural and outdoor activities, including over 60 miles of biking and hiking trails in town and close by.
50% Teaching: Develop and teach courses in the school’s curriculum, consisting of a mix of courses: large and small, graduate and undergraduate, and potentially, a mix of modalities. Advise students in projects; conduct student assessments, including proper documentation to support ABET/ACCE accreditation; participate as a member of Ph.D. and M.S. committees; hold office hours; and mentor and advise students on professional aspects of the field.
40% Research and scholarly activities: Engage in research activities including the discovery of new knowledge and understanding, the integration and application of research, and the dissemination of knowledge, as defined in the Criteria for Promotion and Tenure in the faculty handbook. Develop and lead a sustainable externally funded research program that is nationally and internationally significant and visible. Publish research in peer-reviewed journals, conference proceedings, and other outlets, as appropriate; produce patents; write proposals; conduct funded and unfunded research; present results at professional conferences, meetings, other institutions, and industry; and direct and mentor Ph.D. and M.S. students in all aspects of research and professional development.
10% Service: Participate as a collegial member of the unit and perform appropriate service that contributes to the effectiveness of the School, the College, the University, and the profession. Service includes participation in and leadership of School, College, and University committees, attendance at faculty meetings, mentorship of junior faculty, and contributions to outreach activities. Participation in service to the profession, including serving as a reviewer or editor for journals and conferences, leadership roles in professional organizations, reviewing proposals, and conference organization, should be pursued as appropriate.
Minimum/Required Qualifications for All Levels (Associate or Full Professor):
- A PhD in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, or other relevant field prior to the position start date.
- Demonstrated ability or significant potential for excellent teaching.
- Experience developing courses/curricula for a degree.
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU Standard 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions.
Additional Minimum/Required Qualifications for Associate Level:
- A record of achievement in innovative research programs and publication activity.
- A demonstrated ability to lead multi-year, multi-disciplinary, competitively-funded collaborative research projects.
- Effective collaborations with industry and/or federal labs and agencies.
Additional Minimum/Required Qualifications for Full Professor Level:
- Experience in winning and overseeing large multi-year, multi-disciplinary research programs.
- Established long-term relationships with federal labs and/or agencies and industry or industry bodies.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications for All Levels (Associate or Full Professor):
- Interest or track record in commercialization of research.
- Experience advancing technology within the manufacturing industry.
- Experience in establishing or growing a research center or institute.
- A track record of professional service within the advanced manufacturing community.
Timeline and Application:
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by December 31, 2021. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position has been filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants. A complete application will include:
- Letter of interest describing how your qualifications and experience prepare you for this role and satisfy the minimum qualifications and, as appropriate, the preferred qualifications (1-2 pages).
- Curriculum Vitae (no length restriction).
- Research statement that highlights your research accomplishments and describes your next steps (1-2 pages).
- Teaching statement that outlines your teaching practices and accomplishments (1-2 pages).
- Diversity statement that explains how your education, training, and/or lived experience will help build an inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community (1-2 pages).
For additional information please visit the OSU Jobs website at http://oregonstate.edu/jobs and search under Associate/Full Professor of Advanced Manufacturing, or search by Posting Number P04923UF. The full position description can be viewed by using the link: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/109232
Additional information about the School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering may be found at http://mime.oregonstate.edu/. Please direct inquiries to Prof. Brian Paul, Search Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.