Post-doctoral researchers are sought to conduct research in damage diagnosis and prognosis of structural components of onshore wind turbines. The research will use data-driven prognostic methods to assess and predict the state of health of structural components of horizontal axis wind turbines (HAWT). Data is to be collected from experimental laboratory tests and from full-scale operational wind turbines. Post-doc positions are immediately available in the research group composed by Drs. Rodrigo Astroza (UAndes), Marcos Orchard (UChile), Sabastian Rivera (UAndes), and Constanza Ahumada (UChile). The researchers will work on a multi-institutional research initiative funded by the Chilean National Research and Development Agency (ANID).
We are looking for highly motivated applicants in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, civil engineering, or electrical engineering with strong background and experience in structural health monitoring, system identification, vibration sensing technology, and/or wind turbine technology. To apply, please send your CV/Resume and a complete list of publications in a single PDF to Dr. Rodrigo Astroza (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email subject "Post-doc Position Application".
Description of the position:
In this 2-years fully-funded position, the postdoctoral researcher will investigate and develop numerical models and methodologies for condition-based maintenance and prognosis and health management of structural components of wind turbines, including, blades, tower, and their connections. We will be conducting experimental laboratory tests (component and utility-scale) and in-situ tests on operational wind turbines.
Required and desired qualifications:
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree in Mechanical/Aerospace/ Civil/Electrical Engineering.
- Applicants must have a strong background in linear and nonlinear dynamical systems, Bayesian methods for data assimilation and, wind turbine technology.
- It is desirable that the applicants have experience in experimental testing of mechanical/structural components.
- Experience on finite element modeling, fluid-structure interaction, and high-performance computing is a plus.
- Applicants must have strong interest and self-motivation in performing cutting-edge research, transferring the gained knowledge to real-world applications, and to publish findings in high-impact journals.
About Universidad de los Andes
Universidad de los Andes is a private higher-education institution in Chile, with more than 10000 students and a strong orientation to research excellence. Its beautiful campus lies in a quiet neighborhood at the foothills of the Andes in the capital city of Santiago.