The Penn State Department of Architectural Engineering invites applications for three degree programs:
Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)
Master of Science (M.S.)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Students who are self-funded and those who seek graduate assistantships are encouraged to apply.
Note: You do not need to submit GRE scores to apply for M.S., M.Eng., and Ph.D. programs for Fall 2022.
he world-renowned faculty in Penn State’s Department of Architectural Engineering apply expertise in building mechanical, lighting and electrical systems, acoustics, structures, construction management, and other disciplines to specialize in the following areas:
- Improving the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of connected buildings
- Developing communities supported by renewable energy sources and by distributed energy networks
- Smart buildings embedded with sensors and supported with artificial intelligence
- Improving the understanding of the dynamic relationships between buildings and their occupants, stakeholders, and design participants
- Emerging building materials and processes through the adaptation and integration of advanced computational and/or experimental technologies
- Building-technology frontiers for construction automation and future construction workforce and job site safety
- Computer-aided parametric design paradigms and modularization of buildings
- Human health, comfort, and productivity implications of indoor environments
- Multidisciplinary building research (e.g. smart grids and community microgrids)
- Integration of renewable energy sources to buildings and smart energy sources design for buildings
Graduate students will have the opportunity to contribute to existing interdisciplinary University-wide organizations, including the Sustainability Institute, the Social Science Research Institute, the Materials Research Institute, the Applied Research Laboratory, the Institutes of Energy and the Environment, the Institute for CyberScience, the Center for Security Research and Education, and the Penn State Navy Yard Living Laboratory, among others.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. The anticipated start dates are August 2022 or January 2023.
Applications should include: Full resume or C.V., transcripts from previous degrees, a statement of intent, contact information for three references, and TOEFL/IELTS scores (for international applicants). Please choose one or more of the specializations noted above and designate it in your statement of intent. For more information about the department and to apply, please visit https://www.ae.psu.edu/academics/graduate/how-to-apply.aspx.
Direct inquiries may be sent to Sez Atamturktur, department head, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Somayeh Asadi, graduate program officer, at
Process inquiries can be directed to Scarlet Tobin, graduate program and placement coordinator, at email@example.com.