Department Head of Computer Science
The Department Head of Computer Science (CSC) position at Missouri State University offers a rewarding opportunity for an outstanding scholar to bring their proven record of accomplishment in leadership, teaching, research, and mentoring to lead this growing department. The successful candidate shows evidence of teaching excellence at undergraduate and graduate levels, strong leadership and mentoring abilities along with ongoing research and scholarly activities. The Department Head is expected to provide mentorship to junior faculty, recruit and retain talented faculty, and be actively involved in the growth of the department.
The department head will work closely with the CNAS and Graduate Deans to advance the goals and efforts of the department.
The Computer Science Department will have 8 full time tenured/tenure-track faculty members by fall of 2018 and over 300 undergraduate majors. A new M.S. program began in 2017 and a second degree option in Software Development began in 2016. The CS program has been ABET-accredited since 1989.
Existing faculty research areas include computer vision, distributed computing, internet of things, Autonomous Robotics, machine learning, multimedia, networking, and software engineering. The department is growing and if the growth continues more faculty members may be hired in the future. http://computerscience.missouristate.edu/undergraduate/.
The successful candidate will be hired with tenure at the rank of Professor. The Department Head works on a 12-month basis, with an initial 5-year term with annual review and the potential for re- appointment to additional terms.
Key duties of the department head include:
- Lead the Department in support of all programs (undergraduate and master’s-level) in the department
- Ensure high standards of achievement, integrity and ethics for students, faculty and staff
- Promote faculty/student research, grants, and publication activity
- Ensure an active commitment to diversity
- Facilitate effective communication; lead recruitment/retention of students; recruit, evaluate and recommend faculty for retention, tenure and promotion
- Administer academic programs of the Department including scheduling, program review, assessment and accreditation; teach in the discipline.
- Maintain ties with alumni and community
- Supervise support personnel and manage departmental space and facilities
- Plan and administer departmental budgets
- Promote fundraising for the department in consultation with the Dean
- Other duties as needed
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field
- Record of excellence in teaching and scholarly achievements commensurate with appointment at the rank of Full Professor
- Capacity for administration and leadership in all the activities of an academic department, including curricular development, teaching, scholarly productivity, faculty development and external relations
- Familiarity with ABET accreditation is preferred
- Success in balancing multiple job duties of teaching, research, and service
- Familiarity with grant writing and administration
- Experience developing student learning outcomes and comprehensive assessment plans
- History of establishing and maintaining connections with community
- Highly organized
- Demonstrated knowledge working with diverse faculty, staff and students
About Missouri State University
Missouri State University, the second largest in the state, is an urban public university system with an enrollment of more than 24,000 students coming from across the state, nation, and internationally. The University has almost 4,000 faculty and staff members with 90 percent ranked full-time and holding the most advanced degree in their field. As a Bear, you’ll be a part of the process. Around campus, new buildings and renovations continually change the face of the university with additional improvements planned to continue enhancing the environment and learning experience.
Living in Springfield, Missouri
Springfield, the third largest city in the state offers a newly revitalized and vibrant downtown, the heart and soul of the metro area of nearly half a million people. It provides the ideal balance of amenities without the downside of large cities. Springfield offers a growing job market, great schools, world-class health care, and extensive entertainment and cultural options coupled with the natural Ozarks beauty. Its low cost of living, good area school systems, affordable housing and friendly communities are the ideal setting to live. www.LiveInSpringfieldMO.com
Springfield boasts: Top 5 Best Cities to Start a Business (WalletHub), Top 20 Magnets for Young Adults (USA Today), Top 30 Best Cities for Job Growth (New Geography), Top 40 For Business and Careers (Forbes Magazine), and Top 100 Places to Live (Livability.com)
Employment will require a criminal background check at University expense. Missouri State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/minority/female/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity employer and institution. We encourage applications from all interested minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and sexual orientation/gender identity.
More information about Missouri State University can be found at: http://www.missouristate.edu/ To apply please send a cover letter and CV to: https://jobs.missouristate.edu/postings/36055
Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2017 and continue until finalists are identified.